Crews will excavate and renew corroded and broken rail on Filbert Street. The new components and paving should result in fewer vibrations and a smoother ride for trolleys and vehicular traffic.
Project Location and Hours
The work will take place on Filbert Street between 39th Street and 40th Street from November 6 through December 9, 2023.
Normal construction hours are 7 am to 3:30 pm Mondays-Fridays. However, there may be weekdays where crews work past 3:30 pm. Occasional weekend or overnight work may also be needed to maintain the project’s timeline.
Impact on Customers
All trolley lines will operate as normal.
The LUCY bus will be detoured to Warren Street from November 6 to November 20. The LUCY routes are expected to return to normal service on November 20, 2023.
Impact on Area Traffic
Pedestrian access to apartments, residences, businesses, and medical facilities will be arranged to be open during construction.
Vehicular parking will not be permitted in the construction zone or adjacent to the tracks being reconstructed. Signs will be posted in advance. Exceptions/Arrangements may be made as required for those with special needs. Delivery vehicles will have limited access; drivers may have to park and carry parcels to a specific location.
Once work begins:
- Filbert Street will be closed in one-to-two block sections starting at North 38th Street. As a new section is closed, the completed section will be reopened as SEPTA in-house crews progress along Filbert Street.
- Vehicular traffic will be restricted in the work areas.
- Emergency vehicles will have uninterrupted access. Trash collection and other city utilities will continue to have access during the closures.
- All side streets in the affected construction areas will be closed to thru traffic. Local traffic will be permitted up to the construction site.
- Posted traffic detours will be erected and maintained around the work area in progress.
- With these projects it is not uncommon to encounter water leaks from laterals connecting to the water main. These will be addressed accordingly as needed.
LUCY Bus Detour Nov. 6 – 20
- Temporary stop will be placed at the southeast corner of North 38th Street and Cuthbert Street. This will serve both the Green and Gold routes.
- The bus routes will detour north up North 38th Street to Warren Street; east on Warren Street to North 37th Street; south on North 37th Street to Cuthbert Street; and west to North 38th Street, before turning south on to North 38th Street and stopping at the temporary stop below.
- Temporary stop will be placed along the west curb line of North 38th Street between Medical Drive and Filbert Street. This will serve both the Green and Gold routes.